I recently made the switch to organic fruits and vegetables for the mere reason of (I admit) convenience. I found this great company who delivers a box of 100% organic produce to my door each week. 100% organic meaning they are completely free of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or spray insecticides and are USDA certified. By going organic these farmers are reducing erosion, decreasing pesticides in the ground & possibly drinking water, and are using 50% less energy.
I'm not here to preach about going organic because of the risks of pesticides to you and your family-I will leave that up to you to research (3 articles of interest below) but I do recommend taking an active role in your health while supporting those in your local community.
For me I decided to purchase my produce from SWFL Organics because they deliver a box of fruits and vegetables to my door each Tuesday (now if I could only get them to pick up the rest of my groceries) and since doing this my family and I have begun eating the 4-6 recommended daily intake of fruits and veggies and we have tried many new things like kale, collards, escarole, and acorn squash and now know what a fresh green bean should taste like.
If you decide you would like to switch to organic or would like to support your local community go to www.localharvest.org for a listing of local farms and farmers markets or let www.swflorganics.com know that you read about them from my blog.
*This is not an advertisement and I wasn't paid to write this. It's just a great company that is offering an invaluable service that I feel like supporting*
Feel free to comment on local businesses or events which provide the same type of service and also check out these other sites
www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-foodNU002255
www.redbookmag.com/recipes-home/truth-about-organic-foods
www.foodnews.org




No comments:
Post a Comment